I also had the same time problem on an alix board with voyage 0.6.1 kernel. After some investigation, the problem was actually the usage of the geode-mfgpt timers. geode-mfgpt provides two clock sources, tsc and the default jiffies. tsc is reported unstable and jiffies is selected (you can see that by issuing the command cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/available_clocksource and cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource). jiffies clocksource is well known to be inacurate and losing time sync. I solved the problem by disabling geode-mfgpt timers (by adding nomfgpt in the kernel cmdline options). After that, pit is selected as clocksource and I have no timer issues.
I guess a newer kernel build (like the mentioned 2.6.27) might fix the geode-mfgpt tsc clocksource reported as unstable, thus eliminating the timer problem. Hope this helps On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 12:46 AM, Alexander Krsek <[email protected]> wrote: > Stéphane Acounis <stephane.acou...@...> writes: > > > > > Le Tue, 31 Mar 2009 21:21:25 -0500 > > Sam <voy...@...> a écrit: > > > > > I don't know what hardware you are using but ntp won't work on the > > > alix boards as their time skew is beyond the limits allowed in ntp. > > > Just running ntpdate with cron every hour or so usually works better > > > (if hardware is the issue). > > > > > > Sam > > > > Hi, > > > > I'm using Voyage 0.5.2 on an Alix3c2 board. > > > > ntpq -p > > remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset > > jitter > > > > ============================================================================== > > LOCAL(0) .LOCL. 10 l 57 64 377 0.000 > > 0.000 0.015 *192.168.0.1 134.158.24.1 7 u 30 64 > > 377 0.262 0.049 0.194 > > > > uptime: > > 09:54:02 up 6 days, 17:17, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00 > > > > The NTP server is broadcasting time he has received from the network. > > > > So ntp is working on Alix boards. > > > > It depends. > > I had same problem with voyage 0.6.1 (distribution kernel 2.6.26) on Alix > 2D3 > board. Time skew was like one second less every 20 seconds. > > I solved it with adjtimex package, which quite fixed constant time skew and > then run ntpd on top of that. > > Interesting is, that with (self configured/compiled) 2.6.27 kernel there is > no > such issue. Also some time ago, voyage 0.5.2 (with distribution kernel) did > not > have any such problem with ntpd on that board. > > So yes, ntp is working on Alix boards. And most of time without any other > help ;) > > > _______________________________________________ > Voyage-linux mailing list > [email protected] > http://list.voyage.hk/mailman/listinfo/voyage-linux >
_______________________________________________ Voyage-linux mailing list [email protected] http://list.voyage.hk/mailman/listinfo/voyage-linux
