On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 9:22 PM, Beat Meier
<mbe...@swiss-wireless.com.ar> wrote:

> I think too wrap/alix boards are the most suitable I have used and will use
> in the future.

Totally agree.   Very flexible and powerful for routing, WiFi tasks.

> I have about 30 standalone wireless repeaters for my whole wireless network
> mostly long distance links
> and they work very very stable and nice. The only problem now is that
> madwifi died and mac80211 with hostapd is really not usable
> at the moment for long distance links :-(

What is the WiFi chipset in your case - Atheros?

For WiFi functionality, I have installed the generic x86 openWRT
(backfire) on an ALIX box with an Atheros card.  I am using it as an
AP but I believe it can be configured as a repeater or bridge.  The
kernel 2.6.32 supports ath9k driver.    For 12 beta, I noticed they
are putting out images for ALIX and Soekris 5501.

The Web UI  (backfire) works fine with the default skin; in my
experience other skins, although they look prettier,  break some of
the UI functionality.

YMMV.

HTH,
-- Arun Khan