On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 10:49 AM, Dave Barach (dbarach) <dbar...@cisco.com>
wrote:

> When it comes time to send binary API messages to a given plugin, the
> control-plane agent recovers msg_id_base like so:
>

>   /* Ask the vpp engine for the first assigned message-id */
>
>   name = format (0, "snat_%08x%c", api_version, 0);
>
>   sm->msg_id_base = vl_client_get_first_plugin_msg_id ((char *) name);
>

> and adds it to the enumerated message id values:
>

>   mp->_vl_msg_id = ntohs (msg_id_base + VL_API_some_msg_id);
>

> Since the set of plugins can change between runs, absolute message ID’s
> can’t be guaranteed.
>

> Thanks… Dave

Does this same mechanism hold true for the VPE messages?  Is the collection
of the VPE message considered "a plugin", or "a base onto which plugins will
be added"?  There are currently 20 or 21 include files' worth of msg ids
here.

Specifically, I'm trying to resolve an understanding of what I was told to
do
last week (Use a msg_id based on a lookup of "<name>_<crc>") versus this
use a msg_id obtained by "base + enum-value".

Is there a plugin name for the VPE collection of API msg ids?  (I don't
think so.)
Will these msg_ids always be 0-based so no base offset need be looked-up
nor added?

Thanks,
jdl