Guys,

Why do tap interfaces use the name "tap-%d" internally?  The user has
given an actual name (that corresponds to the underlying Linux tap name),
and yet VPP makes up a non-correlatable different name in the form "tap-%d"
by making up some number and assigning it to the IF.

This issue is precisely the same problem that loopback IF names had,
and for which I submitted a patch to at least allow deterministically
predictable
IF names for user-assigned names on loopbacks.

Later, there is some form of ability to "renumber" tap interfaces.  Will
this
affect the numbering of the IF names the user sees?

Specifically, I'm wondering if we can somehow unify the tap name prefix
with the other interface prefixing styles in a more standard, cohesive and
predictable way.  In the case of tap IFs, having VPP instead at least use
the name "tap-%s", formatted with the user-supplied name would make
it predictable and somewhat similar to the other IF types.

I *think* this table summarizes the current state of IF names for many
of the interface types.

Thanks,
jdl

DPDK:
    User says : TenGigabitEthernet6/0/0
    VPP uses  : TenGigabitEthernet6/0/0
    Linux uses: <doesn't see it>

Loopback:
    User says : <n> - for "create" and "delete" commands
    VPP uses  : loop<n> - for any other reference to the IF
    Linux     : <doesn't see it>

Host AF_PACKET
    User says : <name> - for "create" and "delete" commands
    VPP uses  : host-<name> - for any other reference to the IF
    Linux uses: <name>
    Note: Leftover(?) use of "veth" in all VPP Wiki pages still?

Tap:
    User says : <name> - for "create" and "delete" commands
    VPP uses  : tap-<n> - for any other reference to the IF
    Linux uses: <name>
    Note: No relationship between <name> and <n>

netmap:
    User says : <name> - for "create" and "delete" commands
    VPP uses  : netmap-<name> - for any other reference to the IF
    Linux uses: <name>