On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 2:28 PM, Pierre Pfister (ppfister) <
ppfis...@cisco.com> wrote:

> tapcli.c implements all tap nodes, plus the CLI calls.
> tapapi.c only implements api calls and then calls tapcli functions.
>
> Admittedly tapcli is not the perfect name,

It's not a matter of names.

but file renaming in git makes the history of changes way harder to follow.

I beg to differ. [*1*]

> So I don't think it is necessary to rename tapcli.c

Wouldn't do that anyway.  It's not a matter of file names.

My concern is that a pure user of the C API shouldn't drag in
anything to do with the VAT and vppctl CLI command infrastructure.
Having conflated the CLI bits (parsing, param checking, marshalling)
and the CLI output (format....(), etc), with the underlying implementaion
of the actual TAP requirements (control sockets, setting the mac
and IP addrs, etc) runs the risk of having the pure C API users
drag in a lot of unneeded CLI code.

There should be a *new* file that has the underlying implementaion
without the CLI bits.

tuntap.c, on the other hand, I think is legacy code. There probably is some
> cleaning to be done there.

Haven't peered over there yet... :-/

> - Pierre

HTH,