At the time of creating this patch, epel was part of Makefile and
python34 was installed as dependency from that repo.
(see https://gerrit.fd.io/r/#/c/6983/53/Makefile)
At later time, the epel stuff disappeared and with it also
the possibility to add python34 as a centos dependency - commit
bd8e242024fcc2daffa77bdd6e2da1296ace5c69. I remember pointing this out
in discussion with Neale, but I didn't get a chance to test whether
centos works or not before it was merged.

As for the solution, I can think of 3 options:

1.) require python3 (which has been around for some ~9 years now)
2.) disable generation of the C (and C++) API if python3 is not detected
3.) convert the script to python2.7 (which is in the opposite direction of
where we would want to go wrt python version)

Thanks,
Klement

Quoting Thomas F Herbert (2017-09-23 15:55:10)
>    All:
>
>    Commit 8f2a4ea, Gerrit,  [1]https://gerrit.fd.io/r/#/c/6983/ "Add new C
>    API"
>
>    introduces a dependency on Python 3 and breaks downstream builds for
>    Centos.
>
>    Unfortunately, neither RHEL nor Centos currently support Python 3.
>
>    Most VPPers are probably building with EPEL repo so this problem didn't
>    show up until now but actually there is no dependency on EPEL in the
>    Makefile or spec file.
>
>    If anybody can suggest a solution short of pushing Python 3 into the
>    downstream repos, I am open to suggestions.
>
>    --Tom
>
>    --
>    Thomas F Herbert
>    NFV and Fast Data Planes
>    Office of Technology
>    Red Hat
>
> References
>
>    Visible links
>    1. https://gerrit.fd.io/r/#/c/6983/
  • [vpp-dev] Pro... Thomas F Herbert
    • Re: [vpp... Klement Sekera -X (ksekera - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco)
      • Re: ... Marco Varlese
        • ... Klement Sekera -X (ksekera - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco)
          • ... Marco Varlese
            • ... Thomas F Herbert
              • ... Klement Sekera -X (ksekera - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco)
                • ... Thomas Herbert
                • ... Ole Troan
                • ... Billy McFall
                • ... Klement Sekera -X (ksekera - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco)
                • ... Florin Coras