Thanks for the thorough explanation Klement!Based on that, I think (2) is still
the better option for the current situation...

Tom, how would that sound to you?

>>> "Klement Sekera -X (ksekera - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco)"
>>> <ksek...@cisco.com> 09/25/17 10:40 AM >>>
Quoting Marco Varlese (2017-09-25 10:26:50)
> Hi Klement,

> > At the time of creating this patch, epel was part of Makefile and
> > python34 was installed as dependency from that repo.
> > (see https://gerrit.fd.io/r/#/c/6983/53/Makefile)
> > At later time, the epel stuff disappeared and with it also
> > the possibility to add python34 as a centos dependency - commit
> > bd8e242024fcc2daffa77bdd6e2da1296ace5c69. I remember pointing this out
> > in discussion with Neale, but I didn't get a chance to test whether
> > centos works or not before it was merged.
>
> I think it would be nice though to update other scripts too so to have one
> single python version used across the board.
> Currently, to build VPP on our distribution I need to require both python and
> python3 packages since some python scripts use one rather than the other.
> Aligning python versions would make downstream consumption better I believe.
> Is this something which will/could be done?

See below.

> > As for the solution, I can think of 3 options:
> >
> > 1.) require python3 (which has been around for some ~9 years now)
> > 2.) disable generation of the C (and C++) API if python3 is not detected
>
> I think this would be a fair compromise for distros not supporting (yet)
> python3. However, I am not sure how this would result in the VPP CI...
> wouldn't this break all tests running over those API?

Tests are python2.7 because scapy wasn't python3 capable when we
designed the test framework.

These are language bindings, not different API calls. Only test_vapi,
which tests that the language bindings of different types (simple
request, dump, event, etc.) work would have to be disabled.

> > 3.) convert the script to python2.7 (which is in the opposite direction of
> > where we would want to go wrt python version)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Klement
>
> Cheers,
> Marco
>
> Quoting Thomas F Herbert (2017-09-23 15:55:10)
> >    All:
> >
> >    Commit 8f2a4ea, Gerrit,  [1]https://gerrit.fd.io/r/#/c/6983/ "Add new C
> >    API"
> >
> >    introduces a dependency on Python 3 and breaks downstream builds for
> >    Centos.
> >
> >    Unfortunately, neither RHEL nor Centos currently support Python 3.
> >
> >    Most VPPers are probably building with EPEL repo so this problem didn't
> >    show up until now but actually there is no dependency on EPEL in the
> >    Makefile or spec file.
> >
> >    If anybody can suggest a solution short of pushing Python 3 into the
> >    downstream repos, I am open to suggestions.
> >
> >    --Tom
> >
> >    --
> >    Thomas F Herbert
> >    NFV and Fast Data Planes
> >    Office of Technology
> >    Red Hat
> >
> > References
> >
> >    Visible links
> >    1. https://gerrit.fd.io/r/#/c/6983/
  • [vpp-dev] Pro... Thomas F Herbert
    • Re: [vpp... Klement Sekera -X (ksekera - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco)
      • Re: ... Marco Varlese
        • ... Klement Sekera -X (ksekera - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco)
          • ... Marco Varlese
            • ... Thomas F Herbert
              • ... Klement Sekera -X (ksekera - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco)
                • ... Thomas Herbert
                • ... Ole Troan
                • ... Billy McFall
                • ... Klement Sekera -X (ksekera - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco)
                • ... Florin Coras
              • ... Burt Silverman