On R230, we have the following. Not sure why eth0 is down. I used the same
setup for L3 routing measurement. Everything worked fine.

vpp# sh hardware-interfaces eth0
              Name                Idx   Link  Hardware
eth0                               2    down  eth0
  Link speed: unknown
  Ethernet address b4:96:91:23:1e:d6
  Intel 82599
*    carrier down <================================= How can this be done? *
    flags: admin-up promisc pmd rx-ip4-cksum
    rx: queues 1 (max 128), desc 512 (min 32 max 4096 align 8)
    tx: queues 3 (max 64), desc 512 (min 32 max 4096 align 8)
    pci: device 8086:154d subsystem 8086:7b11 address 0000:06:00.01 numa 0
    max rx packet len: 15872
    promiscuous: unicast on all-multicast on
    vlan offload: strip off filter off qinq off
    rx offload avail:  vlan-strip ipv4-cksum udp-cksum tcp-cksum tcp-lro
                       macsec-strip vlan-filter vlan-extend jumbo-frame
scatter
                       security keep-crc
    rx offload active: ipv4-cksum
    tx offload avail:  vlan-insert ipv4-cksum udp-cksum tcp-cksum
sctp-cksum
                       tcp-tso macsec-insert multi-segs security
    tx offload active: none
    rss avail:         ipv4-tcp ipv4-udp ipv4 ipv6-tcp-ex ipv6-udp-ex
ipv6-tcp
                       ipv6-udp ipv6-ex ipv6
    rss active:        none
    tx burst function: (nil)
    rx burst function: ixgbe_recv_pkts_vec

    rx frames ok                                       32770
    rx bytes ok                                      3899630
    extended stats:
      rx good packets                                  32770
      rx good bytes                                  3899630
      rx q0packets                                     32770
      rx q0bytes                                     3899630
      rx size 65 to 127 packets                        32770
      rx multicast packets                             32770
      rx total packets                                 32770
      rx total bytes                                 3899630
vpp#