This is good information.

Can we take a step back and approach this from a different perspective?
Why do we actually need scapy?
The general process is that we use scapy to create a separate pcap file
that is fed to the vpp packet generator.
If we instead create named pcap files that we pre-package with the tests,
we would 1) resolve this issue 2) speed up the actual execution of the
tests.

The only usage of scapy outside of the unit tests proper that comes to mind
is within test/utils.py

Paul

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 9:54 AM Vratko Polak -X (vrpolak - PANTHEON TECH SRO
at Cisco) <vrpo...@cisco.com> wrote:

> Few quick comments and links.
>

> Turns out GPLv2-or-later is not by itself compatible with Apache [2],
>
> we need to use GPLv3 (which is compatible with both).
>

> The questions on dynamic linking are still open [3] [4] [5].
>

> We probably need to distinguish several Programs
>
> available from VPP repository.
>
> VPP PAPI (library) is a separate distribution
>
> from VPP test framework.
>

> When a user starts VPP test framework,
>
> linking with VPP PAPI in runtime,
>
> therefore creating a derived work.
>
> GPLv3 would apply to that Program,
>
> but it does not mean we need to mention GPLv3
>
> in VPP PAPI license headers.
>

> This only works because VPP PAPI does not share
>
> any code nor data structures specific to VPP test framework.
>
> Modules which link with Scapy do share data structures,
>
> so the "derived work" nature is apparent already in repo.
>

> Vratko.
>

> [2] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#apache2
>
> [3]
> https://tech.popdata.org/the-gpl-license-and-linking-still-unclear-after-30-years/
>
> [4] https://lwn.net/Articles/548216/
>
> [5]
> https://www.kilpatricktownsend.com/-/media/2019/IP-Desk-Reference-2015/A-Practical-Guide-to-Open-Source-Software.ashx?la=en&hash=895293E77B462CF85E4D3E80AF8DC83143D0C165

    • ... Paul Vinciguerra
      • ... Vratko Polak -X (vrpolak - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco) via lists.fd.io
        • ... Ole Troan
        • ... Luca Muscariello
      • ... Vratko Polak -X (vrpolak - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco) via lists.fd.io
        • ... Paul Vinciguerra
          • ... Vratko Polak -X (vrpolak - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco) via lists.fd.io
            • ... Andrew Yourtchenko
    • ... Ray Kinsella