Hoi Xiaodong,

One thing to note, is that the interface must be state 'up' before changes
are affected. If I set to 'adaptive' (best of both worlds, interrupts in
low load, polling in higher load':

DBGvpp# set interface rx-mode GigabitEthernet3/0/0 adaptive

DBGvpp# set interface state GigabitEthernet3/0/1 down

DBGvpp# set interface rx-mode GigabitEthernet3/0/1 adaptive

(no change)

DBGvpp# show logging

2022/07/20 20:03:34:656 error      interface/rx-q setting rx mode on the
interface GigabitEthernet3/0/1 queue-id 0 failed.

   dpdk_interface_rx_mode_change: unsupported op (is the interface up?)

DBGvpp# set interface state GigabitEthernet3/0/1 up

DBGvpp# set interface rx-mode GigabitEthernet3/0/1 adaptive

DBGvpp# show hardware-interfaces GigabitEthernet3/0/1

              Name                Idx   Link  Hardware

GigabitEthernet3/0/1               2     up   GigabitEthernet3/0/1

  Link speed: 1 Gbps

  RX Queues:

    queue thread         mode

    0     vpp_wk_0 (1)   padaptive

One side note:
- before setting rx-mode, "show hardware-interfaces" without arguments will
list them all.
- after setting the rx-mode, "show hardware-interfaces" returns empty and
requires a specific interface to be named.

However, CPU load goes down and polling clearly stops. Maybe that helps :)

groet,
Pim

--
Pim van Pelt <p...@ipng.nl>