Xiaodong,

That tip about LCP is a good one - the tap interfaces you created (or that
linux-cp created for you) will be in polling mode. virtio/tap does allow
for adaptive as well. And indeed, even if my physical interfaces (Intel
X710 10G and Intel i810 100G) are showing adaptive mode, the tap is still
polling.

For me:
set int state GigabitEthernet3/0/0 up
set int state GigabitEthernet3/0/1 up
set int state HundredGigabitEthernet12/0/0 up
set int state HundredGigabitEthernet12/0/1 up

set int rx-mode GigabitEthernet3/0/0 adaptive
set int rx-mode GigabitEthernet3/0/1 adaptive
set int rx-mode HundredGigabitEthernet12/0/0 adaptive
set int rx-mode HundredGigabitEthernet12/0/1 adaptive

lcp create GigabitEthernet3/0/0 host-if e0
set int rx-mode tap1 adaptive

(and ensure all other taps and phys are in adaptive) the load goes from
300% to 19% on a machine with 3 workers. So, in your case possibly the tap
was still being polled?
groet,
Pim

--