The config partition is just a smaller (min 10 meg) partition we use to
store configs on.  It doesn't get over-written by the install-system
script on subsequent installs.  It's not entirely necessary in your case.

Take a look at this post for high level instructions...
http://mailman.vyatta.com/pipermail/vyatta-users/2007-September/001859.html

I would probably make the parts ext3.

Your grub menu.lst file should look something like this.
default=0
timeout=5
hiddenmenu
serial --unit=0 --speed=9600
terminal --timeout=5 console serial

title Vyatta OFR
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1  console=ttyS0,9600 console=tty0
        initrd /boot/initrd.img

cheers,
robert.