I have a G4(AGP) and a G3Powerbook both using Mac OS 10.1.3 and
connected with a cross over cable that works. I have checked the
archives and three knowledgeable 'tomes' but can't seem to get the right
combination of buttons to do simple File Sharing.Can anyone tell me the
right buttons to press!

Turn filesharing on on one machine from the System Preferences->Sharing panel. (No, depsite what everyone says you don't need AppleTalk really!)

From the Finder on the machine that isn't sharing, choose 'Connect to
server' and enter the IP number of the server machine. You can find the IP number in the server's File sharing preferences panel.

You'll then be prompted for your username and password and asked what you want to access.

Have fun,
Shay
--
Perth, Western Australia Technomancer It must be bunnies!