Hi WAMUGGERS, Mark,
I've been doing a bit of work on these sorts of units for some primary
school music teachers and there are a lot of options in these external
USB AD/DA interfaces. These are needed as the teachers have laptops not
desktops. The ones we want need to have both MIDI and audio connectivity
both hi and lo Z inputs and some aux input and connectivity to USB. The
upshot is that the tascam, yamaha, roland edirol ua3 (and others),
midiman , m-audio quattro, aardvark, digidesign mbox (recently featured
on Apple's website!) all do the job. One big difference is the quality
of the software for sequencing/recording and then mixing down to audio.
Some come with nothing and don't work with much either (not even
Steinberg Cubase VST or EMagic Logic Audio - go figure). The Tascam units
come with Cubasis that does 8 audio tracks and 48 midi and seems a good
value - this is $200 software. I like the US-428 unit with 8 sliders that
link directly to software mixers and let you have 16 banks of 8 slides -
with presets and DSP built-in - sweet! It's the one I'd buy - but it
isn't cheap.

http://www.tascam.com/products/us428/index.php
http://www.tascam.com/products/computer_recording/us224/index.php

These are great for small mixing/recording needs and ideal for beginners
getting into recording.

Creative have a great but PC-only softwarewise (at this time) unit called
the Extigy which is good for the home hobbyist who wants it all - a bit
of recording, amplification, surround-sound for gaming etc.
http://www.soundblaster.com/products/extigy/

I'd love to get my hands on one of these and see how well it works with
macs - it's far cheaper than many alternatives and has some unique
features.

petersw

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur."
(Anything written in Latin sounds impressive.)

Spicer-Wensley Consultancy Services
6 Wilkins Street
BELLEVUE
WESTERN AUSTRALIA 6056