SEE comments in message :-------

Chris Burton wrote:

> Hi muggers
>
> I have been experiencing an annoying problem each time I dial up to
> the net (G4 800, 9.2.2), and am wondering if others have the same.
>
> About 2-3 minutes after being online I am disconnected.

IS IT REALLY THAT LONG that you are on line ? There is an automatic
disconnection by the outgoing exchange if the receiving exchange does
not send an "answer" signal. It is designed that way so that
unsuccessful calls do not hold the equipment forever. Timing is more
like 90 seconds plus or minus 50 %.

I have to
> re-dial again, and then Im on for as long as I want...about 30min
> until I log out. This happens every single time I dial up!! It costs
> me 2 phone calls instead of one. I have been in my present house for
> nearly 3 years, with the same isp and phone connection on a 56k
> internal modem. No problems until about 3 months ago.

WHAT HAPPENED THEN ?
Did you change computers, software or modem ???

Telstra advised
> me to ask my isp how to reduce the data transfer rate of my
> modem...that was the problem!?

BULLDUST ! But you may have needed a different modem script ! ?

I have changed my modem software back
> to V34, but my download speed dropped to 2k/sec from 5k/sec...Im sick
> of that slow speed.

V34 is 33.6k and the relative speed would be about 3.6k unless your
modem is now not matching the ISP setup and the compression is not
working right.

No problems like this last year...same set up.

> A friend of mine, who is running with a different ISP has had exactly
> the same problem. He rang telstra and really gave it to them. The
> problem has stopped for him!!

PERHAPS his was an answer signal problem that was fixed !

He mentioned to me that a few years ago
> a person in Qld looked into a similar problem and found that telstra
> was using some sort of 'pinging' software to test lines and this
> caused disconnections.

NORMALLY the line test software would be used once a day and usually
over night with the results fed to a maintenance centre the next morning.
I said NORMALLY !

> What is going on here...does anyone experience the same?
>
> Any suggestions greatly appreciated

1. DO YOU INITIATE APPLE REMOTE ACCESS TO DIAL UP,
or do you just launch a browser and let it initiate the dialling ?

2. Use a different working computer complete with its own modem
to try your line and see what the result is ! It may help prove
the line or your equipment setup.