Subject: HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK - ALONE

(I was prompted to send this because my father was taken to hospital Thursday
morning with this very problem, altho he wasn't alone.)

I can’t confirm the accuracy of this advice but it’s better than none at all,
and whilst we’re on the subject - would you remember what to do ifsomeone near
you is having a heart attack? Regards from Ken

HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK ALONE

Let's say it's 6:15 P.M. and you're driving home (alone of course), after an
unusually hard day on the job. You're really tired, upset and frustrated.
Suddenly you start experiencing severe pain in your chest that starts to
radiate out into your arm and up into your jaw. You are only about five miles
from the hospital nearest your home; unfortunately you don't know if you'll be
able to make it that far. What can you do? You've been trained in CPR but the
guy that taught the course neglected to tell you how to perform it on yourself.
Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack,this article seemed
to be in order. Without help, the person whose heart stops beating properly and
who begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds left before losing
consciousness. However, these victims can help themselves by coughing
repeatedly and very vigorously. A deep breath should be taken before each
cough. The cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep
inside the chest. And a cough must be repeated about every 2 seconds without
let up until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally
again. Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze
the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing pressure on the heart
also helps it regain normal rhythm. If everyone who gets this sends it to 10
people, you can bet that we'll save at least one life.

Tell as many other people as possible about this, it could save their lives!

>>From Health Cares, Rochester General Hospital via Chapter 240s newsletter AND
>>THE BEAT GOES ON

(reprint from The Mended Hearts, Inc. publication, Heart Response) BE A FRIEND
AND PLEASE SEND THIS ARTICLE TO AS MANY FRIENDS AS POSSIBLE

PHONEPOWER
Ken Jackson
126 Joel Tce
Mount Lawley, Western Australia
6050 Australia
(089) 271-1874
0409 770 747
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Add this card to your address book

T 08 9271 1874
T 08 9271 0389
F 08 9271 0870
M 0409 770 747

E [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged
or subject to copyright. It is intended for the exclusive use of the
addressee(s). If you are not an addressee, please do not read, copy,
distribute or otherwise act upon this e-mail. If you have received the
e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the
e-mail. The unauthorised use of this e-mail may result in liability for
breach of confidentiality, privilege or copyright.