This is a curious issue and I wish I had an answer for you but only more "weirdness"- I have on my desk two "dead" YoYo power supplies from two G3 powerbooks. None of my users have had issues with these before Friday so I've never had a close look at one until Friday. Both YoYo units were stone cold showing that they were non functional and I replaced both units with brick power supplies from our loan PowerBooks. My first thought, seeing the unshielded wires at the base end was that the insulation on the units had shrunk exposing the wires to friction and that there was contact between the shield negative and the core positive. However a Google search seemed to suggest this lack of outer covering is normal.

However I plugged the two YoYo supplies in to the loan computers and left them over the weekend with the computers switched on but asleep. This morning both units have full battery charge (they would have drained over the weekend on battery even in sleep mode) and both supply units are warm to the touch.

So sorry no answers just more of the same question.

FYI have a look at <http://www.apple-power-adapter-complaints.com/> which may help though not this is a legal not technical site.

Hi,

Something strange has happened to my g3 powerbook.

My yoyo powersupply stopped working tonight and when I got my
spare out (I have now managed to go through 2 bricks and 2
yoyos) I noticed that the battery wasn't charging.

No problem - fast forward an hour an it still isn't charging. I have
reseated the battery and restarted the computer and no joy.

It has also been in the shop recently to have the hinges replaced
(this probably has no link at all)

Anyone have any suggestions as I don't want to leave it hooked
up to mains in this weather.

Help?.....please?

Aurora

Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.html>

~
Mark Secker [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ph#9380 1855 (ECEL)
ECEL Computer Support Officer, University of Western Australia.
CRICOS Provider No. 00126G
~
...I know that it is round for I have seen the shadow on the moon...
Ferdinand Magellan.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson