On Monday, August 25, 2003, at 4:56 PM, Katinka Mills wrote:

Macintouch 25.8.03

Cnet Asia reports on a Chinese initiative to eliminate Windows
dependence:

A new policy from China's governing body states that all government
ministries must buy only locally produced software at the next upgrade
cycle.

Snip

ROFLAMO, this is great only for one problem, what will replace it, I know of
no "locally produced" software from china. Most of the *nix's are
international collaborations </me shrugs, maybe some new upstart business in China will start making OS and Office software> Anything is better than M$
only wish the companies that manufactured engineering tools like Protel
would listen (that is all that keeps this machine using M$ software)

They will probably start with this <http://www.redflag-linux.com>

 And then add a home grown office package.

Boom. Say bye bye to profitable MS software in China.

- Matt

--

     Matt Healey                                                [EMAIL