In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
on Thu, May 06, 2004 at 12:18:59PM +0800, Dick Anderson wrote:
> I thought the point of things being much more than those for
> PCs was that they were Mac reliable. Any comments, please,

Well, I don't know that iMacs could ever be said to fall into that
category. But I will say that I still /adore/ the SCSI PowerMac
604-based stuff from the mid-late nineties. Such a pleasure to work
with, and reliable (well, my experiences). Some of the physical hardware
is really rewarding to deal with -- it's just a shame Apple didn't adopt
decent OpenFirmware for those models (to facilitate modern / third-party
operating systems). Also, at the Guild, we still have a LaserWriter 8500
that can outperform the newer HP LaserJet 4xxx series printers (albeit
at a lower resolution, which might account for the difference). That
late-nineties, pre-iMac period of hardware from Apple amazes me,
compared to the "economy" of iMacs. The G4 stuff can be fine, but it's
a bit worrying to have seen models don't have manual ejection holes,
programmers switches, etc. I think there were some 'special' aspects of
Apple's old hardware that are not reflected in the G4s. I have no G5
experience.