On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 13:05, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Most PCs are 'no-name' brand cheaper and perform accordingly.

Heh; I've never had good experiences with "brand name" PCs - I tend to
find they're done extremely cheaply, the alleged "support" is appalling,
they have mangled versions of the OS, and they often use nonstandard
parts, making repairs more expensive.

That said, to get a reliable machine you do need to make sure it's built
with quality parts; OEMs do tend to do that, at least.

> If you buy a brand name one the biggest dramas are the OS and programs
> not really the hardware.

I'll agree there. There's little more disruptive to your work than
getting hit by the latest virus wave or having a shoddy driver mess up
your OS install.

Craig Ringer