As a side note to this, if we get enough people joining, there is no reason why we couldn't give away an iMac, or even a G5. Members currently have a 1 in 36 chance of winning.

Which is a lot better (and healthier) than drinking the equivalent amount of Pepsi :)

User groups are also one of the ways that users have of getting representation, whether it be with Apple or some local sites/banks/whatever who've done something silly and written web pages that don't work on the Mac.

I think the 'more prizes if you turn up' option is quite reasonable. After all you can still win first prize, even if you don't show! It does encourage members who otherwise wouldn't show to turn up at a meeting and meet other members. Of course, there are people who won't be able to make it, but they have the option of not paying their membership, and they still get the advantage of being on the list.

WAMUG is somewhat geographically biased by definition, otherwise people could just run off and discuss everything on Apple's forums or other lists. But they'd lose the chance to meet and network with other local Mac users, lose out on local business opportunities and support, and become yet another social group subsumed into the faceless morass that is the internet.

If WAMUG's not doing what you'd like it to do, suggestions can always be made to the committee, and positions are open every year at the AGM!

Have fun,
Shay
--
 Perth, Western Australia   Technomancer  Join Team Sungroper in the