On 8/6/04 5:04 PM, "Antony N. Lord" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I could have sworn I read (on the WAMUG) list a few days ago a thread
> regarding changes to eligibility for educational discounts (and
> warranty periods) on Mac hardware purchases.
>
> After much hunting I can't seem to find any references.

Officially, you won't.  Resellers have been notified via Apple's Reseller
Channel website, and I believe Shay read it somewhere :-) (I don't know
where!)

> In short my questions are
>
> * Who qualifies? In my case I'm a UWA graduate but I'm not sure if
> this alone qualifies me. My father is a ECU lecturer - I don't know
> if this helps. Apple.com.au doesn't seem particularly helpful in
> spelling out who qualifies.

If you are a UWA Alumni (I am also a graduate from UWA, but you have to join
(and pay for) the Alumni) to qualify.  Graduates don't count. Your father
can buy at edu pricing, as he is a lecturer.

> * Do all the Apple Resellers support (the same?) educational pricing?

Only resellers that have educational qualifications with Apple.  Winthrop is
the biggest.  I'm not sure who else is now, since the demise of Gmac.  Does
anyone know who is for sure these days?

> * Anyone know if you can use a Resellers finance option (RentSmart
> etc) in conjunction with educational pricing?

Yes!  Edu pricing has nothing to do with the way you finance it.  I had a
number of deals in the past where teachers salary sacrificed for a new
laptop.  A few bought through Flexirent and Rentsmart - which were good
deals as the three year warranty covered your Mac until the contract
finished (unless you went 4 years).  Now that the 3 year warranty is almost
over, if you purchase via Flexirent you will have to cover the time after
your first year your own way (Flexirent do not cover for the time of the
loan).

The new edu 3 year warranty is pretty much only departments, not
individuals.  Best bet is to check with your edu supplier before the 28th!

Seeya

Rod!