From: Stephen Atherton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 8 June 2004 7:09:16 PM GMT+10:00
To: "Antony N. Lord" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Educational Pricing

All you ever wanted to know about changes to education warranty :-)

Objective

To clarify changes effective from 28th June 2004  to:
a) eligibility criteria for education individuals
b) warranty conditions applying to education individuals

and to restate those customers which remain eligible for education terms & conditions including pricing & warranty.

Please note that written notice (as per contract conditions) has been forwarded separately to each AUC member university.

Summary of Changes

Effective 28th June 2004;
a) Alumni will be excluded from the definition of eligible education customer
b) Warranty on all education individual sales will revert to our standard 12 months warranty terms & conditions. ie: While education individuals will still be able to access education pricing (note that discount was increased effective 1st May 2004), Tricare will no longer apply to individuals. Please also note that an APP product for agency customers will also be available by June 28th. Details will be available from channel partners. c) TAFE students studying certificate level (or higher) courses will be included in the definition of eligible education customer.

While I acknowledge that this last point has no relevance for AUC members, I've included it for the sake of completeness.

Message

The following table broadly names eligible individuals and identifies the channel partners which are authorised to handle agency sales to those customers:

Special Note: Institution vs Individual Part Numbers - There are a number of products (most commonly software) for which a unique and attractive price is offered for institutions. These part numbers are clearly identified on our price lists. In these cases there will commonly be a separate part number applicable for individuals. Please note that institution only part numbers (and the pricing which goes with those) are not available to individuals.

The next table broadly names the eligible institutions and identifies the channel partners which are authorised to handle agency sales to those customers:

Definition Notes

1) AUC Universities:

To see a current list of AUC member universities;
        1.1 Go to : http://auc.uow.edu.au/
        1.2 Click on: "About the AUC"
        1.3 Click on "AUC Members"

2) Private Colleges Eligibility Criteria:

For Private colleges to receive Apple education terms & conditions including pricing, they must meet ALL of the following criteria:

1) The college must be a registered training organisation (RTO) and/or a Quality Endorsed Teaching Organisation (QETO)
2) The college must offer certificate level or higher courses
3) The college must have documented evidence that it is affiliated with (or associated with) a TAFE, University or Department of Education

3) Defining an Individual purchase vs Institutional purchase:

An institutional purchase is any purchase (even a single unit) being paid for by an institution such as a university.

An individual purchase is any purchase by an eligible education individual (such as a student or teacher) and being paid for with their own funds.

Closing Remarks

Written notice of these changes has already been mailed to each AUC member university.

While I appreciate that education individuals will be disappointed at the diminution of the warranty offering, I do hope that these customers will appreciate that effective May 1st Apple increased the percentage discount for all education customers. Nevertheless, the expected reaction is understandable. We have not taken this decision lightly, nor have we taken it naively.

What results from these actions is a very compelling price point for those education individuals satisfied with the 12 months statutory warranty. For those individuals requiring 3 years warranty (with included phone support) that option will also be available, but obviously at additional cost. We expect that these customers will include in their value assessment a comparison with the offerings of our competitors. Notwithstanding any sense of disappointment these latter customers might feel at the discontinuance of Tricare, I believe the value of our offering will be very competitive.

Naturally, any education individual customers who place orders prior to June 28th (regardless of the date we actually ship) will receive Tricare warranty (ie: 3 years).