In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
on Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 12:11:47PM +0800, Shay Telfer wrote:
> Rolling out a distributed update across hundreds of thousands of
> machines over the entire planet is not a trivial thing to do. It's
> not going to be simultaneous for every user. Nor is that necessarily
> desirable.

By the way, Debian Linux seems to do this pretty well. Surely there are
millions of Debian machines spread across the entire planet, with
multiple hardware architectures to support, too (although I only have
experience with a couple). Except when there has been a delay in
initiating the release of an update, or where there has been a server
failure, I don't really recall Apple-style inconsistencies in the
publication or delivery of those updates.