Andrew,

Bit unshore what you are referencing, for copying/backup a CD/DvD I use Apples Disk Utility works a treat. If you are backing-up to a dvd then just pop the dvd in and drop files into its icon on desktop drag to bin or right click and burn, if you need files compressed I use Stuffits Archive.

If you are wanting to copy movies , then their are many ways of doing this as it depends on the burner you have i.e. DL or a standard Apple, if you want DivX files, or a direct copy, remembering most movies are DL and a bit.

Forty-TwoDVDMP-Plus or its partner Forty-TwoDVD-VXPlus do a fine job but $$ ??? If you have X11 installed have a look at X-CD-Roast again depends on type of burner, but a GNU License. Mac OS X can rip vob files and DVD SP can make a new disc but time = what is DVD worth, $$ mmmm.

Music CD's are handled by iTunes very well, DvD's again ????

Remember copyright is not just for studios to make squillions. But, it supports artists whom are trying to make a living from their talent; more importantly protect their artwork be it physical or intellectual from misappropriation.

HTH