Thanks Dan & Mark - I've pulled the "install new OS, duplicate user folder then switch with old user folder" trick once before, when I wanted to get a G5 up and running quickly after it had been out of action for awhile ... to this day I still have permission issues. ;-}

If the app looks for a firewire connection, I guess what I need is another G5 to accommodate the old HD.

Cheers,
Tobes.