Afternoon,

On 26 Apr 2005, at 12:53 PM, Daniel Kerr wrote:

On 26/04/2005 12:44 PM, "Toby Oldham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

Hi all, I'm planning on upgrading my G5's Hard Disk at the same time as
installing Tiger. I figured the best way to do this is install the new
HD, install Tiger onto the new HD, then use the Setup utility to
migrate my user data from the old HD to the new one.

Can anyone confirm that it is possible to use the SU in the method I've
described? My previous experience was in moving user data via a
firewire cable between a G5 and a G4. I'm unsure whether it can be used
between two internal HDs.

A few google searches haven't revealed anything, any info appreciated.

Cheers,
Tobes.

Hi Tobes

I haven't tried it via two internal drives. As it needs to look for a
Firewire connection it may not work but not 100% sure on that though. You could always setup the new drive, create the same User, then reboot over to the older user and replace the folders inside it with your current data.
That may also work.
I've done that on a couple of my machines, and then just repaired
permissions, and it all worked fine. Not the best way, but still works well.
:o) And always worth it as a last resort.

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards
Daniel
---
Daniel Kerr
MacWizardry

Phone: 0414 795 960
Email: <danielATmacwizardryDOTcomDOTau>
Web:   <http://www.macwizardry.com.au>

**For everything Macintosh**

rsync could be of use for transferring files, the beauty of Unix / Linux and the genius of an Australian; Andrew Tridgell (Samba)

rsync is a file transfer program capable of efficient remote update
via a fast differencing algorithm.

information is found via the terminal; type, man rsync

It is used via the command line:

rsync -avz /Volumes/OLDHD/Documents /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Documents

(example only, naming conventions different for each machine and only valid with OS X)

This transfers all files in Documents folder on old drive to Documents folder on new. Notice back-slash with space this signifies a space in naming convention of drive. The -avz - tells program this is an option, a is archive it will transfer all files with symbolic links and preferences, v is verbose can see what and where files are being transfered, z is compressed slightly faster transfer but definitely smaller can be left off as it is for across networks.

The forward slash at end of commands for destination signifies to create a folder with name of the src. I have left it blank so as to deliver them to Documents folder. Their are many uses for said program even as a remote or local backup, remember though if you have to remove system files one has to be Administrator or initialise root if you are trying to move things across users.

Cheers!
Rob Davies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"It is the world which makes known to us our belonging to a subject-communtiy, especially the existence in the world of the manufactured objects." Sartre.