Greg Sharp wrote:

I went direct to the source, I asked my 17 year old son.

He said 1st copy the program from CD to your computer + any other networked
machines you want to allow LAN gaming on.

Next start the game & when requested insert the CD. Whether playing single
player or via LAN one machine must have the original disk inserted. Players
on other machines log in to this machine for LAN play but aren't required to
have a disk inserted.

He has played it on an old 9500 running OS 9.1, a slot load iMac running OS
9.2.2 and more importantly for your info on a G3 800MHz iBook running OS
9.2.2 under Classic. So it does work under Classic.

I mentioned to him you couldn't get it to run because it kept requesting you
to insert CD even though you already had. He said that happened to him
sometimes but all he did was give the CD a real good clean/wipe and then it
was recognized again. This may be your problem.

Before you say "well it worked on my old machine", I have a theory on that.
Your old machines have plain CD drives in them where as you mentioned your
eMac has a DVD drive. The CD drive may not be as sensitive to
marks/scratches etc than the DVD drive is because of the different
mechanisms/lasers etc. Cleaning it properly should help.

What you could do as an experiment for your own satisfaction is load the
program onto both machines but put the CD in the old one. Then connect for a
LAN game from the eMac to the old one. If the application runs fine under
Classic from the eMac then it will pretty much prove the problem is in the
way the DVD drive on the eMac reads the disk which would help substantiate
my suspicion.

In the past I have resurected iffy CDs by making a Disk Image of them with Toast and then creating a new disk. Seems to get around some scratches etc.

Good Luck
Paul