Hi All!

I have a question for the database people on the list. I am at the start of constructing a database for my Dad's business. At this stage it will have two separate functions (repairs and test figures), but I am also looking at using it to streamline quoting (therefore will need a parts and client list). At least 3 people will need access to the database, on a multi platform network (we have 1 Mac, 1 Pc, 1 Mac OSX Server, and either a Mac or PC). I intend to keep the data on the server and use a client program on the other machines.

I figure I can accomplish this quiet easily with a Filemaker/ Filemaker Server combo, but price is a consideration ($0 would make the boss very happy!). There are two solutions I am considering:

a) Using Webobjects, so all I need on the client machines are a web browser

b) Using REALBasic to create a front end for an SQL database. Being a multi platform language, REALBasic might be a good solution, as I can also tailor the interface to what we need

Anybody here had experience with either solution? Are they difficult to implement? Can anybody point me to a good resource for SQL (especially on the Mac), as I'm a bit 'green' when it comes to SQL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Seeya

Rod!