Rod,

You may be trying to reinvent the wheel here. MYOB has all that
functionality right out of the box, including multi user and cross platform.
You will still need to think through and set up your specific business
processes within the system, but that will be a whole lot easier than
writing a database from scratch!

HTH
John

PS I'm certainly not suggesting that MYOB is the ultimate in Mac friendly
business solutions. It's not, and their paid for MYOB Cover help desk
support sucks. Imagine telling a Mac user with a Mac only version of their
program to "check your Registry settings"! That being said, it does work,
and I've used it in my business for more than a decade now. I have the Macs
and my accountant has the PCs.
--
John Winters
Phone +61 8 9367 9277