On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 23:02 +0800, J Philippe Chaperon wrote:

> What a real nightmare Steve Jobs has sprung on some of us!! I'm still trying
> to fathom what all this will mean for the 'believers'. It'll be very hard
> right now for the evangelists to evangelize the heathen to the Apple
> religion....

Why? Most users' have always had the /real/ problem with Windows, not
x86. If you really feel the need to view things in religious terms, I'm
sure you can still manage to do so :-P

> One thing I am certain of is that my dual G5, purchased to last me through
> many upgrades, both software and hardware, or so I thought some months back,
> is now like a lame duck sitting in the very busy Intel highway.

Hardly. According to the announcement it'll be about two years, probably
more, until Apple even release x86 workstations. They're starting with
the lower end stuff - probably mac mini, iBook, etc.

I wouldn't stress too much, myself. Sure, I'd be less than thrilled too
since it probably _will_ eventually limit your software options, but
it's not the end of the world. There's going to be at least OS/X 10.5
and a full suite of apps for that coming for PPC yet.

> I now have absolutely no incentive to update to Tiger, I was planning to
> place an order for one today!! My current 10.3.9 will do until it dies out,

I imagine you'll probably want 10.4 or 10.5 eventually - I'd be
surprised if developers didn't start requiring one of them eventually.

That said, it sounds like it's safer to stick with 10.3 right now
anyway...

I'm not trying to say "you're wrong" or anything, just pointing out that
this is unlikely to bring about the abrupt end of the Mac/PPC world.
There's a lot of installed base out there. Did developers instantly drop
10.2 support when 10.3 came out? No - way too many people stayed with
10.2 and they wanted to be able to sell to them too.

--
Craig Ringer