On 07/06/2005, at 11:02 PM, J Philippe Chaperon wrote:

One thing I am certain of is that my dual G5, purchased to last me through many upgrades, both software and hardware, or so I thought some months back,
is now like a lame duck sitting in the very busy Intel highway.

I now have absolutely no incentive to update to Tiger, I was planning to place an order for one today!! My current 10.3.9 will do until it dies out, and hopefully by then the effects of Jobs' decision would be clearer. I am
just not in a mood anymore to put my heard earned cabbages to support
something built on shifting sand.

I don't think there's any reason for panic here, Philippe. Your G5 will be well aged before you feel the need to upgrade to whatever is latest and greatest at the time. MacOS X will continue to be MacOS X. Remember, it's the processor that's changing, not the OS. We are not going to suddenly turn into Windows users overnight. Or ever, for that matter.

The incentive to update to Tiger will increase as new software is developed which takes advantage of the new Tiger technologies such as Core Image, Core Video, etc. These technologies will still be Mac- specific, and will work the same whether you're running G5 or Intel. The point is they are available now, and Intel-base Macs are not. Programs such as GraphicConverter, for example, are already starting to use some of the new features, and there will be many more to come. If you're not running Tiger, you'll be missing out.

The Mac will still be the Mac.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Fax (618) 9332 0913