Greg Sharp wrote:

On 5/7/05 2:51 PM, "Rod" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

And what happened to the jobs of those at the Australian call
centre?  Apple did the same thing to TAC (who service techs call for
help).  There were some great guys in there who were very
knowledgeable and helpful :-(

Its great that some Indians have work, but hopefully those who lost
their jobs when all these call centres closed here have found work
again.  From what I have read, this is also happening in the US.  And
not only call centre work - programming and general tech jobs too.
All to make that bottom line look better for the next day's trading
on the NASDAQ ;-)

Let's hope those who did lose their jobs found work again.
Unfortunately most don't. The other big looser is the customer. I'm running
a poll on our site on this very issue and although only about a half dozen
votes have been submitted so far, everyone who has voted felt the quality of
service from India is nowhere near as good as the Australian based support.
I suspect that rather than anything inherent, this may be because companies who prioritize cost over service are moving to outsourced support first. Also, if the company is seeking to cut costs, the chances are that if they couldn't outsource to India they'd hire untrained 14 year olds here. (Of course, with computers an untrained 14 year old has a good chance of solving your problem, but anyway...).

That doesn't make it any better for the user, of course. I am sure that it's possible to outsource support and still provide good service ... but that'd cost a lot more, especially since you need to hire people with actual skill in the language you're providing support in, or train them extensively in it.

Blame the cost-cutting mentality, not India.

--
Craig Ringer