Craig Ringer wrote:

<elsniupo>

I've never heard them tell anyone to use a provided
"system restore CD" that reformats the computer and erases all data without even prompting the user, for example - unlike one big OEM with a 3-letter name.

Craig,

The number of letters does not matter, HP, Dell, Compaq (now HP) IBM, Acer etc all have the same problem :(

I have customers who have done this as been told by tech support, and then wondered why they could not find their data :(

Not to mention not knowing that the updates they have installed since need to be installed to be able to read their backups....

There is nothing like personal tech support, just wish the average luser (non apple / *nix user (ie M$ user) would appreciate this.

Regards,

Kat.