On 26 Jan 2006, at 8:42 AM, bill parker wrote:

        WAMUG Mailing List Digest #909
 1) Re: Broadband set up
    by John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Broadband set up
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 07:09:19 +0800

Hi,
Robert appears to have covered it fairly well. I have recently (last November) connected to broadband with iprimus and agonized as you are because the instructions stated ideally one, or at most, two phones only on the one line. My line comes into the house in the lounge room then travels around the outside of the house to the main bedroom, around the back and other side to the "Office". On this line I have two handsets, a remote, fax and answering machine. I simply put a filter on each outlet before the device and the main filter before the router and all worked well. A friend of mine who had never touched a computer in his 60 odd years until just over a month ago has recently done a similar thing through iinet and had no problems. If he can do it, anyone can.

Have fun and enjoy broadband.

John Thompson

I just went for the Westnet ADSL set-up and the ever helpful guys at WN were temporarily stumped when I could get no stable connection. Was it the modem? Tested that somewhere else, fine.

Was it Telstra?   WN organised a visit if needed for me.

Meanwhile this is the physical set-up. There are four hard wired outlets in the building, only one of which is used for ADSL hook up, the other just phone only. With the kit came one splitter.

Wasn't immediately obvious that ALL four outlets needed a splitter.

AND They Do NOT need a FILTER ....... UNTIL You plug something into them !

IF you found different your wiring has a problem somewhere !
Do you have an Alarm Dialler   ?

Bob

PS: The so called " Splitter " is really only a way of putting a filter in one outlet and providing
an Unfiltered outlet as the second outlet .

Problem solved, even though two of the outlets have no phone connected normally.

Bill