On 12/10/2006, at 12:46 PM, Warren Jones wrote:

Hi Reg
I was in the same boat a while back. I was with TPG and they wanted to do the same thing to my plan as iiNet wants to do with yours. I changed ISPs as a result. Unfortunately I went with iiNet and it seems I'll be back in the same situation when my contract expires.

It seems the old pricing isn't sustainable which is strange as bandwidth should get cheaper with time and increasing volume of users.

I think you will find that this has something to do with customers being served by the ISP through the Telstra Wholesale data backbone , which had a price increase some time ago .

Those ISP's supplying exchanges with their own network ( read optic cable in the ground )
have a different cost aspect .

For example see here the Amnet network
<http://www.amnet.com.au/images/maps/Perth_NetworkMap_Digital.jpg>

        SORRY REG   ... THEY DO NOT SHOW GERO ON THE MAP !

and the Amnet Plans  ( up to 8MB/1MB for $49 and 10Gb monthly )
        <http://www.amnet.com.au/BroadbandInternet.aspx>

Unfortunately my exchange is not Amnet enabled and is fed by Telstra Wholesale at the moment ,
but so far price has not increased .

Bob

woz