Mark Secker wrote:

I may be wrong but I think that the 1.6 GHz model only has 'normal' pci slots:

http://support.apple.com/specs/powermac/Power_Mac_G5.html

While this is a factor for me it may not bother others.

for me all I'd need to do would be to run OSX server - even a G5 mini mac would do but there's the extra SATA drive bay and the PCI slots as well for extra firewire and USB...

Hi Mark

Single processor G5s have come up in my rankings of late but I think the iffy expansion slots issue is a real wet blanket.

You may want to look into this yourself but I've come across a few grumblings in forums about low throughput for PCI based hard drive controllers connected to these PCI-only G5s.
This may crop up if you are looking at maximising the storage.
In particular they're talking about SATA controllers, IDE(or PATA) cards were mentioned too. I would be interested to see if anyone is saying this in regard to Firewire cards also.

The upgrade path of a Mac is paramount for me because my last two PowerMacs have shown me it's importance by providing long and steady service at *low costs*.
Low noise would be nice though ;-)

Cheers
Paul