It sounds like Apple Leopard Graphics 1.0 includes significantly improved drivers for some graphics cards resulting in impressive increases in performance in many games.

eg many (not all) WoW users have noted significant performance increases:

http://www.wowinsider.com/2008/02/11/mac-os-x-10-5-2-brings-big-fps-gains/

"from 27.5 FPS to between 45 and 60 FPS on his iMac after installing 10.5.2 and the Leopard Graphics Update (which also just came out today and requires 10.5.2), and our own Adam Holisky went from 30 to 50 FPS on his own first-gen Intel iMac."

-Mart