hate to say this but this is why, even though I like my wireless Apple Al. keyboard, I still keep a wired keyboard and mouse tucked away in a corner for doing startup diagnostics.

Thanks again Peter,

Yes, I have tried several times now but still no change to the screen(have continued to hold down cmd-V for uotp 2 minutes). I have now realised that there already is an iPod Touch DVD in the slot and I cannot release/eject this disc as my wireless keyboard is not connected to the machine?! I have now tried removing all cables and turning off the power at the wall and then relaunching with the power button depressed as I plug back into the mains socket(as proposed on the Apple support site) but still to no avail! This is not looking too good!

David