Matthew Healey wrote:

 On 09/05/2008, at 9:20 AM, Chris Griffiths wrote:

 MmmŠ it seems iinet is buying a few service providers. I know my
 previous service provider Upnaway was also bought by iiNet about 6
 months ago.

 I'm waiting for iiNet to buy Amcom... at which point there will be
 pretty much no locally based competition left in the broadband market.
 If iiNet bought Amcom they will then own a HUGE chunk of Optial Fibre in
 WA.

 Why does broadband in Australia suck so much?

Telecommunications in Australia is characterised by a geographic area the size of the USA with a paying population only the size of California.

Region - Population Density
Korea - 501 people/sq km
Japan - 340 people/sq km
Europe - 127 people/sq km
Australia - 2.7 people/sq km

Have fun,
Shay (enjoying ADSL 1 on Westnet, at least until iinet change my plan :)
--
 Perth, Western Australia   Technomancer  The love of liberty is the love