I wish I could use iChat without hiccups !!!
It will not connect with iChat on a Mac in Dubai (in either direction)
But it will connect with the same Mac when it is in a hotel in the USA.
I have heard of other similar circumstances between different countries.
Some of the "work arounds" suggested have been so complex that it is simply not worth the worry. Some users on iChat forums have had these same problems but only since going to Leopard
and never before that.

As for Skype being resource hungry ??
I can carry on using Mail, Safari and other applications whilst using Skype without any indication of anything slowing down. I have an iMac 2.16 GHz Intel with 1GB of RAM and the latest OSX.