Graham,

A year ago I moved from a TV, VCR, DVD Player, CD Player, Set top box and cable nightmare to a Mac Mini, EyeTV and a 26" Samsung screen. These three items (if you count the EyeEV as an item) replaced the previous 5 big boxes, and allows me to do so much more than before such as HD viewing, repeating interesting bits, time shifting, editing, burning CDs and DVDs, and ordinary computing if I wish.

I will never go back to anything else.

The only thing I am going to add is a good amplifier for better sound. I already have a pair of good speakers, and don't much care for 5 speaker setups.

I have a colour calibrator that I use to calibrate the screen. Visitors comment how good the colours look on my monitor. Also the high resolution of the Samsung monitor makes others' big TV screens look bad,even if you sit some distance from them

Hi All,

I'm wanting to ditch the old TV and move to a more computer-centred
home audio/video experience.  Either, simply buy a moderate size
Monitor that can connect to my laptop (G4 Al. 17") and also accept AV
input from Video Recorder - (for TV).   Or perhaps buy a mac mini to
use as dedicated audio/visual unit and connect to monitor as above.
Or move into the Digital TV era, with either powerbook or new mac mini
and some kind of eyeTV device?.

I assume others have recently been down these various paths and would
appreciate any advice that they may have.

I'm in the geraldton area, get really good TV reception on all
available channels with existing on-roof ariel - if this is relevant
for digital reception

Cheers,

Graham

</x-flowed>

--
Regards,

Ray Forma
50 Harvest Road, North Fremantle WA 6159, Australia
Tel & Fax 61 (0)8 9335 6568
Mob 61 (0) 428 596938