Hi all,

Hoping someone out there might point me somewhere useful :-)

I have a 3 yr old 1.8 mhz g5 iMac (Just out of Applecare naturally.)

Over the last few weeks, the machine has been working fine except that once every couple of days it makes a small pop and closes down....

For about a minute, pressing the power button just makes it come on then off again.

Shortly thereafter, she powers up but (what sounds like) the fan makes a lot of noise for about 30 seconds

CPU temperature is 75% - that sounds OK, yes?

Anyway, today the machine did it twice in the space of 15 minutes.....starting to get a little nervous here... ;-)

Strangely though, I thought it might have something to do with the power supply, so was wiggling that while it was dead and the machine turned itself on..

I know...confusing eh?

Can anyone offer any advice beyond 'back up everything and brace your wallet'?

cheers
Stewart