Sorry Neil, on closer reading, doesn't seem that you're using WDS anyway.

I had an Apple base station in place to extend the reach of my 7404VGP- M's wireless network, as well as an Airport Express. And I recall somewhere along the line learning that if I wanted security in place, it had to be WEP. I'm 99% certain it was in the manual, but I've just checked the manual for your model and it doesn't seem to state that.

Anyway, at risk of stating the obvious, I'd make sue you have the latest firmware installed (new version released on 10 July 08). Be sure to connect your Mac to the Billion via ethernet before doing an update. The last time I did mine wirelessly, it stuffed things up, and right now that particular Billion is getting 're-flashed' by Billion under warranty. They blamed it on me doing the upgrade wirelessly (which is always the way I'd done it with no prior problems).

The online support offered by Billion is not too bad either in case you haven't tried it. They're quite quick with a response.

Cheers, Steven