Hi Steven,

As I discussed in my reply to Ronni, I'm a bit leery of updating the
software - I may try Billion's support though.

No, I'm not trying to set it up as a WDS and yes, I have (& will!) remain
firmly ethernet connected while setting up!

Cheers

Neil
--
Neil R. Houghton
Albany, Western Australia

on 11/9/08 2:57 PM, Steven Knowles at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [...]
> anyway.
>
> I had an Apple base station in place to extend the reach of my 7404VGP-
> M's wireless network, as well as an Airport Express. And I recall
> somewhere along the line learning that if I wanted security in place,
> it had to be WEP. I'm 99% certain it was in the manual, but I've just
> checked the manual for your model and it doesn't seem to state that.
>
> Anyway, at risk of stating the obvious, I'd make sue you have the
> latest firmware installed (new version released on 10 July 08). Be
> sure to connect your Mac to the Billion via ethernet before doing an
> update. The last time I did mine wirelessly, it stuffed things up, and
> right now that particular Billion is getting 're-flashed' by Billion
> under warranty. They blamed it on me doing the upgrade wirelessly
> (which is always the way I'd done it with no prior problems).
>
> The online support offered by Billion is not too bad either in case
> you haven't tried it. They're quite quick with a response.
>
> Cheers, Steven
>
> On 11/09/2008, at 10:39 AM, Steven Knowles wrote:
>
>> Hi Neil
>>
>> I have endless hours of experience using a 7404VGP-M under similar
>> circumstances.
>>
>> Currently I am not using the Billion, and I don't have it with me,
>> but if you check the Billion instruction manual I think from memory
>> you will need to compromise with security and use WEP. It's a
>> limitation of the Billion. I'll read your email in a little more
>> detail when I get chance, but hopefully that's a clue. I was using a
>> WDS, and it may have been that which was incompatible with WPA.
>> Anyway, it does allude to it in the manual.
>>
>> Cheers, Steven
>>

>> On 11/09/2008, at 9:16 AM, Neil Houghton wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Anyone using a Billion 7402VGP (or similar?) and connecting with WPA2
>>> security?
>>>
>>> My problem:
>>>
>>> I've been using the above ADSL2 modem/router/VOIP for quite a while
>>> now
>>> without using the wireless (since the computer is right next to the
>>> router,
>>> I just used ethernet) - all has been well (only ADSL here in
>>> Albany, still
>>> waiting on ADSL2) with internet, networking and VOIP.
>>>
>>> Recently I decided it would be good to try the wireless:
>>>
>>> 1) to stream iTunes to the stereo via an Airport Express (bought
>>> with the
>>> iMac in November but not tried until now)
>>>
>>> 2) to let me wander around with the laptop (bought in May for
>>> overseas trip)
>>>
>>> Here's where I'm at:
>>>
>>> My first try at setting up the billion met with mixed success:
>>>
>>> -   Turned on the wireless feature and could connect up and browse
>>> the net
>>> OK - but default was unsecured - not a state I was happy with.
>>> -   Turned on WPA2 (I thought) and connected up again - but was not
>>> for a password and the network showed up without the "secured"