On 18/09/2008, at 9:45 PM, Ken Jackson wrote:
Hi Ronni,

iCal quitting can be caused by damaged preferences files. You could
try this:
These instructions are for iCal in Tiger NOT Leopard (Leopard iCal has
a file different structure).

Make a backup of your iCal calendars  (iCal File menu > Back up iCal)

The problem is I Cal doesn't open I just get the message that it quit,
before it opens? Got a lot of settings I really don't want to lose too...

1. Quit iCal and all open programs

So I can't follow this procedure, I guess anew version may be the only way
but I can't find a version for 10.4.11

a) Move these files in Home/Library/Preferences to the Trash:
    com.apple.iCal.alarmsCache.plist
    com.apple.iCal.AlarmScheduler.plist
    com.apple.iCal.helper.plist
    com.apple.iCal.plist

2. Launch iCal

Tried this, still won't open?

Where to from here?

Thanks Ronni,

Best,

Ken

If that doesn't help, then the Apple Sync Services database may be
damaged. Try replacing it:

a) Make sure that nothing is syncing (Spanning Sync,.Mac, iSync)
b) Move this folder to the trash: Home/Library/Application Support/
SyncServices
c) Restart your computer

3. Open iCal and give it a few minutes to write out the new database.

Ken,

Did you do this part above ... (move the SyncServices folder to the trash etc) ... and restart your computer? If you have been syncing iCal and there is an event that clashes it can cause iCal to Quit.

What had you just done or were doing when iCal Quit & wouldn't reopen?

Have you tried if iCal will open in another User Account on your Computer? If iCal application opens fine in another user account you know for sure it is something wrong in your preferences, not the actual iCal Application.