Hi David,

Not an answer, per se, to your problem - but what I do is have Time machine
set-up then switch it off.

Then when I think it is time to do a back-up (usually once a day but
sometimes an extra one or two if I'm busy!) I just turn on Time machine, do
"back-up now" and then turn it off again.

Of course, this does defeat the "set & forget" advantage of Time machine and
relies on you actually remembering to back-up - but this is not something I
have a problem with and the Time Machine menu bar item makes it really quick
to "Open Time Machine Preferences", turn it on, "Back Up Now" and then turn
it off.

I have a couple of reasons for doing this:

- Like you I think that the default hourly back-up is too frequent.
- My external disks are fairly quiet but my iMacs are really quiet and I
still find the disk noise distracting - so I tend to leave them switched off
and just switch them on for my (manual) back-up.

Since you are using a Time Capsule, I assume that your backup disk is always
mounted - so if there is not an easy solution to actually schedule The Time
Machine back-ups, I wonder if there is a way to automate the "switch on,
back-up, switch-off" approach that I describe?

I haven't done much with Applescript or automator so I'm not sure of the
scriptability of all these actions but others may be able to advise whether
there is a way to automate/script this?

HTH

Cheers

Neil