sadly the loss of firewire and it's associated Boot Disk mode removes what was one of the most useful tech support tools ever for diagnosis and hard disk repairs.

you can migrate using the network (this is how we've done it on a couple of MacBook Airs that we've had come through):

on the old  "from" mac start Migration and  select "to another mac"

from the new "to" computer select "from another mac" then use the network option