On 27/10/2008, at 10:01 AM, Robert Miller-Eves wrote:

Emac G4 1ghz running Leopard 10.5
Bought this computer about a month ago. Computer is in excellent nick and has been running perfectly. My wife installed a system update at the weekend (Auto Update)

Auto System update does seem to cause trouble for a number of people .

Obtaining and running the OSX Combo update for that version does clear
lot's of problems .

I only ever use the combo updates because they make a better job of getting everything right

Bob

Now the finder won't load (Endless spinning wheel),No folders or disc images onscreen-only desktop picture. Have tried repairing permissions (Can only access disc utility via spotlight) The dock shows but does not activate anything except Dashboard. Spotlight indicates that all wife's folders and files are there. Zapped the PRAM - tried repairing permissions via disc utility on my Tiger install disc all to no avail. Am contemplating archiving Leopard and installing Tiger instead but am concerned about losing wifes folders and files.
CAN ANYONE HELP?
Bob Miller-Eves