Hi Janis,
Was that a jailbroken original iPhone or a jailbroken iPhone 3G that you bought back in July? If the latter, then colour me surprised as to my knowledge the compulsory AT&T contract really smothered the grey market that grew up around the original iPhone and which saw jailbroken models shipped all over the world.

If you don't mind me asking, was it very expensive? The AT&T Early Termination Fee (ETF) is US$175 if you cancel your contract after 1 month. If you cancel within 30 days of purchase there is no ETF but you have to return the phone so I wonder what legal loopholes there might be?

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/en/iReady_checklist.pdf

Here's an interesting article on purchasing a 16GB iPhone 3G outright for AUS$847 through Telstra here in Oz. The guy managed to get them not to charge the $150 "unluck fee" on top of the purchase price:

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19556/1168/

The iPhone plan Calculator might be useful for those wanting to go on a plan in Australia:

http://www.numbersinaflash.com/iphone-top-10-plans/

As far as data usage is concerned, I have to say that although I've got a 3GB per month limit on my iPhone 3G and I'm a heavy user of the internet on it when out and about, I haven't yet managed to use more than 74MBs of data in one month. Having wifi at work and at home really keeps my overall 3G data usage low. My wife is the same - she hasn't managed more than about 60MBs per month on her 500MB Optus plan again despite unconstrained use of her iPhone 3G.

Anyone out there doing more than 100MBs of 3G data per month on your iPhone?

-Mart